Before Christmas, I promised I would share more with you in the new year about how I deal with my anxiety and how I renew my mind on a daily basis! Well, the new year has arrived, and I am here to deliver! I am so excited to share this brand new freebie packed with free printable “recipes” for renewing your mind and tips for decreasing anxious thoughts daily!
I have always had a weakness towards worry, but my anxiety escalated after the startling loss of a dear loved one, and really exploded with my second pregnancy. Rationally, you would think that being blessed with two beautiful children and having the opportunity to stay at home and raise them would have given me peace like a river. As much as I love taking care of my kiddos, though, sometimes being alone with my thoughts has resulted in more anxiousness than I ever would have imagined. I am happy to say that I am in a much better place now, but I am not “cured” by any means. That’s why I have packed my cupboard with recipes for renewing my mind and tips to keep me on track!
My greatest hope is that these strategies will help you as much as they help me! I am overflowing with excitement over the awesome printables I made to go along with this list, so before you jump in, hit this link to subscribe to my weekly e-newsletter and you’ll have access to them before you finish reading this post!
8 Simple Ways to Stop Anxiety in Its Tracks
- Write it Down: This is a super-simple and effective way to free up space your mind, and you won’t have to worry about forgetting to do something! There is a genuine, material transfer of that weight in your mind when you transmit your to-do from your mind to the page (or screen)!
- Just Go to Bed: I am not suggesting you stay in bed all day, but I have come to recognize that my mind blows everything out of proportion late at night (kind of like it does for a toddler). If you are stressing over something important, release it for today and take care of it in the morning!
- Focus on What You Can Do: For me, the thought of my kiddos catching illness is a huge anxiety-fueler! Whenever I notice a sniffle, or we have been around illness, I run a little immune system-booster in our essential oils diffuser and take an Emergen-C packet. On a daily basis, I give my kiddos multi-vitamins, too! Even though it may not always work, I feel better knowing that I did what I could, and I have an easier time coping even if things don’t go the way I hoped. You can apply this principle to anything.
- Keep it Simple: Sometimes the perfectionist in me just needs to LET. GO. For me, this means that at large family gatherings, we use paper plates, even if they don’t match the décor as well as my new place settings would!
- Exercise: If we’re honest with ourselves, we all know that exercise releases endorphins, and I have really found this to be true. Even as little as 15 minutes of light exercise each day really helps! These exercises don’t have to be difficult, either; a walk around the block, a quick bike ride, or even a few yoga poses in the living room while you wait for dinner to cook can do wonders!
- Unplug: This may sound a bit ironic coming from a blogger who spends so much time online, and will mean something different for everyone, but for me, unplugging means not scrolling Facebook late at night. There so many scary news stories and arguments out there, and my tired mind can’t handle it! I have really come to enjoy my phone-free time, and instead, I just talk to my husband or unwind with a show!
- Pray: Get excited! The God of the universe uniquely created you, and he cares about what you’re going through! If it matters to you, it matters to Him, so tell him what you’re dealing with, and ask Him to help you release your anxieties to Him! This can be even more powerful when you confide in someone you can trust and ask them to pray with you and for you!
- Seek Help: If none of these tactics or other remedies you have tried help, and you feel you are struggling just to survive your anxious mind, seek help from your doctor. It was hard for me to admit my anxiety was so severe, but the results of sharing my struggles with someone who could make meaningful (and medical) suggestions made a world of difference. It is far better than living a life ruled by anxiety; I am so grateful that I visited my doctor, and I know my family is, too!
- BONUS! Get Outside: Weather-permitting, I enjoy walks with my family or a stop at the park to soak up a little sun, and the kids enjoy it, too! I also LOVE hiking ; the stresses of life just seem to melt away as I breathe in the fresh air and experience the beauty of all nature has to offer! If weather or location don’t permit you to go outside, try bringing the outside in by opening some windows or sitting in a sunny spot!
Subscribe for instant access to my Anxiety-Busting Printable Kit!
Be sure to check your inbox! We never send spam, and you may unsubscribe at any time!